We remain open to provide urgent care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Many cats are overweight and not only is this physically stressful on the joints, it can also lead to serious medical conditions, such as Diabetes. Weight loss in cats should be done carefully because too-rapid weight loss can lead to Fatty Liver Disease. Cats need to lose weight gradually.
If you aren’t sure if your cat is fat, then you should do a body condition score check on your cat. The body condition score (or BCS) is a good way to evaluate your cat’s physical condition. The score is a grade ranging from 1 to 5. A BCS of 3.0 means that your cat is at an ideal weight, anything lower than a 3.0 is too thin and anything greater than a 3.0 is too heavy. Every time you bring your cat into the hospital, the veterinarian assesses your cat’s body condition score. Please ask us how to perform a body condition score at home on your cat.
How can my cat lose weight?
The biggest mistake that pet owners make is just leaving a big bowl of food out for the cat to eat whenever the mood strikes. It is better to feed your cat at a scheduled feeding time (i.e., breakfast and dinner). Not only does this help control calorie intake, it also helps monitor your cat’s appetite. One of the first indications of illness is a decrease in appetite. Decreasing the number of treats is quite helpful for weight loss as well. Although the treats may seem small, so is your cat! Giving four or five treats at a time is like giving four or five chocolate bars to an adult person.
What is offered in nutritional consultation?
Our clinic is proud to offer a weight loss program for your cat. The program allows us to closely monitor your cat’s weight loss and makes adjustments to the feeding amounts as the cat’s weight decreases. It is an easy and controlled method for your cat to safely lose weight. All that we require is a committed owner and the program is free! The only cost associated with the weight loss program is the cost of food which is minimal. Our technicians are available for consultation when needed and can offer tips to make the weight loss journey easier for you and your cat!
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday April 6, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. Our door will be locked. Please call the number posted on the front door when you arrive and one of our Registered Veterinary Technicians will come to take the history and collect your pet. Our veterinarian will contact you by phone to discuss your pet's health before you leave.
2. We are offering urgent care appointments only at this time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8 am - 6 pm, Wednesday 8 am - 7 pm, and Friday 8 am - 4 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 3-5 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us ahead of time to ensure we have what you need and can have it prepared before your arrival. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, please visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this disease.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.