We remain open to provide urgent care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
The puppy vaccinations are very important to build up a protective immune response in growing dogs. The vaccinations prime the immune system to neutralize the infecting organism before it has a chance to make the puppy ill. Puppy vaccinations must be staged, typically one month apart, to achieve an effective response from the immune system.
Puppies receive vaccines for distemper, adenovirus/hepatitis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza. The last set of puppy vaccines would also include a vaccination against Rabies. An additional vaccine for Bordetella (also known as a kennel cough) would be recommended for puppies that will be going to obedience class.
Why is it important to properly vaccinate your puppy?
It is very important to properly vaccinate your puppy as a prevention for very serious and potentially fatal illnesses. For example, parvovirus is very widespread in the Sudbury region and puppies do not require a direct dog to dog contact to become symptomatic. Preventive medicine is much easier (and much less expensive) than treating disease and vaccines are an inexpensive and very effective method of preventing disease.
What is an appropriate schedule for puppy vaccinations?
Typically, the first vaccination is done at 8 weeks of age and the repeated vaccines are given at 12 and 16 weeks of age. The vaccines done at 16 weeks of age would include the rabies vaccine.
How should you prepare your puppy for its first vaccination visit?
The first vaccination visit should be fun! This is the puppy’s introduction to the veterinary staff and ideally, it should be a positive experience. Bringing a few kibbles of food or a favourite toy can improve the experience for the puppy. The puppy’s owner should be upbeat and calm because the puppy will sense any nervousness or anxiety from the owner. A relatively fresh sample of the puppy’s stool should also be provided so that we can check for parasites which are a common occurrence among puppies.
How much do puppy vaccinations cost?
The cost of puppy vaccinations is variable and is based on the age of the puppy, the history of vaccines and exposure risk factors. Feel free to contact us directly to get an accurate quote based on your puppy’s specific needs.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday April 6, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. Our door will be locked. Please call the number posted on the front door when you arrive and one of our Registered Veterinary Technicians will come to take the history and collect your pet. Our veterinarian will contact you by phone to discuss your pet's health before you leave.
2. We are offering urgent care appointments only at this time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8 am - 6 pm, Wednesday 8 am - 7 pm, and Friday 8 am - 4 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 3-5 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us ahead of time to ensure we have what you need and can have it prepared before your arrival. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, please visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this disease.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.