On every October 31st, children gather together to celebrate their favourite holiday of the year – Halloween. Halloween is a great excuse for parents and kids to eat all the treats they want, and dress up in any costume they can imagine. As a pet owner, you might think giving your furry pal some candy out of your stash would be a good treat for them, but did you know a treat for you could be toxic for them? Several popular Halloween treats are toxic to animals:
- Candies that contain pure sugar can cause diarrhea and vomiting
- Chocolate covered raisins combine two deadly ingredients to both dogs and cats
- Sugar-free items contain a sugar substitute called xylitol which can cause seizures and liver failure in dogs and cats
- Candies with a high concentration of nuts, or fat can potentially cause pancreatitis
Remember, candy bowls are for trick or treaters not Scruffy and Fluffy!
Treats aren’t the only hazard for our fur-babies, costumes can be fun and silly, but they can also cause undue stress and anxiety. Be sure to have your pet try on the costume before the big night. If he or she seems distressed or shows abnormal behaviour, consider letting your pet wear his or her “birthday suit.” May you and your furry pals be safe this Halloween!
Written by: Marisa, Receptionist